June 15th, 2018

Taking the wrap: edging towards 100% recycling

by Adrian Gibbs   What should a company do if it is consistently achieving an office recycling rate of over 95%? Is this the cue for back patting and laurel resting? On the contrary, for Eunomia it simply prompts the question “What can be done with the remaining 5%?” Thanks to Bristol Waste, Eunomia has […]


April 13th, 2018

China crisis: what import restrictions mean for Europe

by Ad Lansink   Over recent years, the Chinese government became increasingly aware that solid waste being imported into China for recycling also contained large amounts of dirty and hazardous wastes. To ensure the health of its citizens and protect China against serious environmental pollution, in 2013 it launched ‘Operation Green Fence’, which stepped up […]


February 9th, 2018

Measure for measure

by Rob Gillies and Eric Bridgwater   The UK Government has been hinting that, in a post-Brexit future, the UK might move away from weight-based recycling rates as the key measure of waste management environmental performance. So what alternatives are there, and why might they be preferable?   Weight and see The most common criticism […]


September 15th, 2017

Informal gathering: improving waste management in the Philippines

by Amy Slack   You can’t separate the issue of marine litter from waste management. For those who work in waste, this might go without saying, but it is a truth that has really hit home with me over the last six weeks away from Eunomia, working in the Philippines. With the help of staff […]


September 1st, 2017

Ever decreasing circles?

by Wayne Hubbard   As we move closer to a circular economy becoming a reality, we need to consider the implications for the waste management industry and its future role – because less waste will require a different infrastructure from what we have now. The London Waste and Recycling Board (LWARB) recently launched a circular […]


July 7th, 2017

Wheels of fortune: the story of the wheeled bin

by Steve Watson   For a relative newcomer to our streets and homes, the wheeled bin has come to occupy an important place in both British civic and cultural life. They have  helped change how waste is managed, and – whether as the subject of the Daily Mail‘s ire or being ridden down a dale […]


June 30th, 2017

Is recycling confusing?

by Peter Jones and Joe Papineschi   There’s one thing everyone seems to agree on regarding recycling: it’s confusing. It’s a familiar complaint from countless press articles and broadcast pieces; when surveyed, people say they find recycling confusing; and Defra has taken up the theme. Part of the rationale for WRAP’s consistency programme is to […]